The position reports to Chief Operations Officer.
LOCATION: HEAD OFFICE, PRETORIA
To lead and manage the economic development, growth and transformation of the South African maritime industry.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Develop and implement the Industry Development strategy and business plan.
- Provide a view on potential improvements for services and an assessment of the existing situation and anticipated changes in the external environment.
- Ensure strategic objectives shaped at Executive level are translated into tactical departmental plans with mechanisms for key measurements in place to monitor progress.
- Participate in strategic planning, budgeting and forecasting of departmental requirements and decision-making process.
- Ensure that departmental performance occurs in line with the mandate set by the Executive.
- Manage the promotion of the maritime industry locally, regionally and globally.
- Manage the promotion of an enabling environment for maritime enterprise development and job creation.
- In collaboration with National, Provincial and Local partners, facilitate and promote the expansion of international trade.
- Ensure support for transformation of the maritime economy by implementing BBBEE & SMME growth and development plans.
- Ensure the implementation of maritime awareness and outreach initiatives with industry stakeholders.
- Ensure development and promotion of the South African Ship Registry and the Ocean Economy (Operation Phakisa) programme of government.
- Facilitate resolutions to issues coming out of the port environment, through NPCCs and PCCs and to issues affecting industry role players.
- Ensure development of initiatives aimed at promoting fishing safety through awareness campaigns and workshops.
- Develop programmes that lead to sustainable & competitive maritime industry.
- Manage departmental budgets within mandate and escalate out of budget items to COO for approval.
- Adhere to sound business principles in managing internal controls in all activities.
- Drive initiatives to ensure that SAMSA becomes a financially self-sufficient organisation that contributes to the development of a maritime industrial capacity while ensuring alignment and compliance of South African maritime regulations with international regulations and maintaining a White Flag status for the country.
Stakeholder Engagement & Management
- Play a leading role in the lobbying of key stakeholders at the highest level (public & private sector stakeholders) for the creation of an environment that is conducive to the development of the maritime industry.
- Provide world class Economic Regulatory Secretariat services by delivering best-practice administrative, operational, technical, strategic, logistical and regulatory support to the PCC and NPCC.
- Facilitate, monitor and /or support economic regulation compliance through the PCCs and NPCC in compliance with the Ports Act.
- Monitor and/or provide support to the Ports Authority oversight role in terms of its independence and equality promotion within the Maritime sector and how this contributes to SA's economic growth.
- Actively participate in already-existing forums/committees to influence the goals, objectives, activities and initiatives of such forums (and participating parties) to ensure that the SAMSA's ultimate industry development goals are achieved.
People Management / Leadership
- Provide clear direction on strategic goals, translating and prioritising them into business and performance measures.
- Lead, inspire and coach a team of high calibre professionals, creating succession to key roles and enhancing departmental management capability.
- NQF level 9 qualification in any of the following:
- Maritime Law,
- Maritime Economics,
- Maritime Transport and Logistics
- Business Management.
- Senior Management or Leadership Development qualification advantageous
Knowledge and Experience
- 7 years' experience in the Maritime Industry
- 3 years of which should be at middle management level
- Sound knowledge and exposure to the Maritime sector
- Sound knowledge and practical understanding of the following:
- Regulatory landscape and alternative frameworks
- Economic policy
- Global industry knowledge
- Emerging industries
High levels of competence on the skills below is a requirement:
- Project management Skills
- Macro-economic thinking
- Stakeholder management skills
- Researching and analysing new opportunities
- Highly skilled at analysing and synthesising information and to formulate policies and strategies.
- Industry Development mind-set
Should you meet the requirements as set out above, please e-mail your CV to Analiza Setsiba at: firstname.lastname@example.org
As we are committed to Employment Equity in our employment practices, it is our intention to appoint individuals with the aim of meeting our Equity objectives. Preference will be given to African Females, Males and people living with a disability to achieve the objectives of Employment Equity.
CLOSING DATE: 13 MAY 2021
Please note: SAMSA reserves the right not to make an appointment to any advertised position. No late applications will be considered. Psychometric and other assessments may be used as part of the selection process and all shortlisted candidates will be required to be available for the tests. If you have not been contacted within 1 month of the closing date as mentioned above, kindly deem your application unsuccessful.