The Centre adheres to various national and international standards (IMO Standards) by conducting Surveys of Ships (all South African Registered Convention Ships and Non- Convention Ships. The surveys are conducted by SAMSA Surveyors, SAMSA Approved Surveyors.
The Centre for Ships is responsible for the Administration of the;
- Merchant Shipping Act,
- Marine Traffic Act,
- Marine Pollution (Control and Civil Liability) Act,
- Marine Pollution (Prevention of Pollution from Ships) Act,
- Marine Pollution (Intervention) Act,
- Maritime Zones Act,
- Wreck and Salvage Act,
- SAMSA Act and the
- SAMSA Levies Act.
In addition to the surveys these two Centres are also involved with:
- Marine pollution combating: Lead Agency during an incident.
- Accident investigation: All ships in South African waters.
- Cargo surveys: Grain, Selected Bulk Ores, Dangerous Goods, Bulk Chemicals.
- Port State Control: inspection of foreign flagged ships in South African ports.
- Accreditation of Industry Service Providers: Life raft service stations. Fire appliances service stations and Medical doctors
< For guidance on SAMSA's survey requirements see Related Information links on the right or contact a SAMSA office >