WHAT WE DO
SAMSA’s Centre for Sea Watch and Response (CSWR) is located in Plattekloof, Cape Town (See directions).
The CSWR is the focal point in the arena of maritime domain awareness (MDA). Its function is to monitor shipping to ensure safety of navigation and protection of the marine environment so as to protect South Africa’s maritime region.
The CSWR’s is responsible for ensuring safety of life and property at sea and the protection of the marine environment, which is the mandate of SAMSA as contained in the SAMSA Act .
CSWR core functions are:
- Carry out Search and Rescue (SAR) functions & responsibilities Search and Rescue
- Implement systems for surveillance of the maritime domain – vessels safety, vessel security, oil pollution prevention, detection and combating
- Maintain MDA(Marine Domain Awareness)
- Manage Maritime Communication system for SAR requirements and radio communication with shipping
- Monitor coastal and offshore maritime activities
- Regulate coastal and inland waterways Aids to Navigation (AtoN), including Vessel Traffic Services (VTS)
- Consultation with the SA Hydrographer with regard to the annual hydrographic programme