Vacancies at SAMSA
South African Maritime Safety Authority (SAMSA) was established in terms of the SAMSA Act 5 of 1998. It is tasked with the mandate of ensuring the safety of life and property at sea, preventing and combating pollution of the marine environment by ships and the promotion of South Africa’s maritime interest.
The programme provides opportunities to unemployed graduates to gain meaningful experience that will complement their studies and gain access to the labour market.
DURATION: 12 MONTHS
To qualify for the internship programme you must be:
· Unemployed graduate aged between 20 to 35
· Have completed a Degree or a National Diploma ( NQF level 6)
· Be a South African citizen
· Not have participated previously in an internship programme
THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS ARE REQUIRED
Diploma in Security Risk Management or Equivalent
PSIRA Registered Grade C
Police Fingerprint Clearance
Head Office, Pretoria
Should you meet the requirements as set out above, please e-mail your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The above position will report to Principal Officer
To ensure vessels, seafarers and maritime service providers are compliant with local legislation and maritime conventions to give effect to the objectives of SAMSA.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Marine Surveying: Undertake surveys in accordance with legislation and other regulations relating to marine pollution and safety. Survey report writing.
- Engineering Examinations and Accreditations: Draft exam papers; conduct level 3 assessments; accredit medical practitioners, training courses and training institutions
- Legislation/Regulations: Initiate and participate in the drafting of new legislation and amendments to existing legislation
- Casualty/Incident Investigations: Undertake and report on casualty/ incident investigations as well as make recommendations based on the outcome of the investigation
- Technical Consultancy: Assist with the interpretation of legislation and provide professional advice as and when required.
- Second Engineer >3000 kW STCW Certificate of Competency (COC), having completed the required sea service for a Chief Engineer >3000 kW COC and the required academics.
- STCW ancillary courses and any other equivalent training
- Sailed in rank of Second Engineer (seagoing experience)
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Chief Engineer >3000 kW Certificate of Competency or
- Equivalent Marine Engineering Degree
- STCW ancillary courses
- Sailed in rank of Chief Engineer (seagoing experience)
Should you meet the requirements as set out above, please e-mail your CV to: Masiye Pilusa at email@example.com CLOSING DATE: 10 July 2017
As we are committed to Employment Equity in our employment practices, it is our intention to appoint individuals with the aim of meeting our Equity objectives. Preference will be given to members of the designated groups to achieve the objectives of Employment Equity.
Please note: SAMSA reserves the right not to make an appointment to any advertised position. No late applications will be considered. Psychometric and other assessments may be used as part of the selection process and all shortlisted candidates will be required to be available for the tests. If you have not been contacted within 1 month of the closing date as mentioned above, kindly deem your application unsuccessful.