The above position will report to Principal Officer
To carry out surveys and inspections of vessels; to audit training facilities and service stations, to approve safety equipment, to examine seafarers for appropriate qualifications, to provide other services to further the objectives of SAMSA and to ensure compliance with the requirements of applicable maritime legislation.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Ship Surveys and Inspections: Conduct and report on various types of surveys
- Engineering/Deck Examinations and Accreditations: Set and moderate exam papers; conduct level 3 assessments; accredit medical practitioners, training courses and training institutions
- Legislation/Regulations: Initiate and participate in the drafting of new legislation and amendments to existing legislation, draft Marine Notices and Marine Circulars.
- Casualty/Incident Investigations: Undertake and report on casualty/ incident investigations as well as make recommendations based on the outcome of the investigation
- Technical Consultancy: Assist with the interpretation of legislation and provide professional advice to industry as and when required
- Second Engineer >3000 kW STCW Certificate of Competency, preferably with all Academics and sea service for Chief Engineer COC / Master COC with no Limitation
- STCW ancillary courses and any other equivalent training
- Sailed in rank of Second Engineer / Sailed in rank as Chief Mate (seagoing experience)
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Chief Engineer >3000 kW (STCW III/2 – no limitation) / Master Unlimited STCW Certificate of Competency
- Equivalent Marine Engineering Degree
- STCW ancillary courses
- Sailed in rank of Chief Engineer / Sailed in rank of Master (seagoing experience)
Should you meet the requirements set out above, please e-mail your CV to Masiye Pilusa email@example.com
Closing date: 28 December 2018
As we are committed to Employment Equity in our employment practices, it is our intention to appoint individuals with the aim of meeting our Equity objectives. Preference will be given to Coloured Male and Female, Black Male and Female and people living with a Disability.
Please note: SAMSA reserves the right not to make an appointment to any advertised position. No late applications will be considered. Psychometric and other assessments may be used as part of the selection process and all shortlisted candidates will be required to be available for the tests. If you have not been contacted within 1 month of the closing date as mentioned above, kindly deem your application unsuccessful.