The above position will report to the Operations Manager
To assist the Operations Manager in ensuring the safe and secure operation of the SAMSA MSP managed vessels.
Key performance areas:
- To act as the Designated Person Ashore with all of the concomitant responsibilities including:
- Duties and responsibilities in accordance with the ISM Code
- The effective implementation and maintenance of the Company Management system;
- The controlling of both shipboard and shore-based audits in accordance with the ISM code, ISPS code and the MLC 2006.
- Investigation (where required) of Non-Conformities / Accidents / Incidents and Near Misses; ensuring that corrective action is taken as deemed appropriate.
- Receive, review, circulate and provide feedback with regards to Vessel Safety Committee Meetings
- Control all ISM related documentation
- Serve as the Company Security Officer (CSO) and Port Facility Security Officer (PFSC) with all of the concomitant responsibilities including:
- Maintenance of the ISPS code on all vessels and quaysides
- Development and submission of the MSP for approval
- Development of the SSA and SSP for all vessels and quaysides for submission to the designated Classification Society and or Flag Administration.
- Ensure that the Company Management System is understood by all crew and office personnel.
- Advise Fleet Superintendents on aspects of SOLAS, MARPOL and other nautical matters.
- Ensure the correct certification of all MSP managed vessels.
The successful candidate will meet the following minimum criteria:
- Grade 12
- National Diploma in Maritime studies
- Master Mariner
- A minimum of 7 years’ service at sea with exposure to the control and application of the MLC / ISM / ISPS Codes
- Able to organise and schedule events, activities and resources.
- Can set up and monitor timescales and plans
- Self-motivated and proactive individual able to use his/her initiative
- Able to work methodically with a high degree of attention to detail
- Successfully adapts to changing demands and conditions
- Able to maintain effective work behaviour in the face of setbacks or pressure.
- Deals with pressure calmly.
Should you meet the requirements as set out above, please e-mail your CV to: Masiye Pilusa at email@example.com
CLOSING DATE: 28 December 2018
As we are committed to Employment Equity in our employment practices, it is our intention to appoint individuals with the aim of meeting our Equity objectives. Preference will be given to Coloured Male, Coloured Female, Black Male and Black Female and people living with a Disability.
Please note: SAMSA reserves the right not to make an appointment to any advertised position. No late applications will be considered. Psychometric and other assessments may be used as part of the selection process and all shortlisted candidates will be required to be available for the tests. If you have not been contacted within 1 month of the closing date as mentioned above, kindly deem your application unsuccessful.