South African Maritime Safety Authority (SAMSA) is a public entity established in terms of Act 5 of 1998 to administer certain laws and to ensure safety of life at sea, pollution control and promotion of the country’s maritime interest.
The entity is seeking to appoint a South African citizen in the position of the Chief Executive Officer. The position will operate from the Head Office in Pretoria but has the national responsibility including the management of coastal offices.
Key performance areas:
• Lead and manage SAMSA for effective execution of its vision, mission and strategic objectives
• As part of the national transport strategy, position SAMSA as a key strategic organisation for the attainment of national, economic and transformational goals including Africa and the international sphere
• Provide leadership within SAMSA to achieve transformation, empowerment, capacity building and service delivery
• Manage inter- governmental developments and relationships to achieve collective execution of maritime goals whilst complying with International Conventions
• Work effectively with SAMSA Board, management, shareholder, staff and stakeholders to achieve SAMSA’s mandate.
• SA citizen with leadership and management experience and at least 10 years’ at executive management level
• Experience in and or exposure to the maritime industry would be significant advantage
• A relevant recognised tertiary qualification, an MBA will be advantageous
• Employment equity candidate • Strategic leadership, financial and project management skills
• Analytical, problem solving and team leadership abilities
• Stakeholder and strategic management capability
• Budgeting and performance management
• Human resource oversight capacity in terms of research and technical projects
• Demonstratable track record • Business planning and forecasting capacity
• Contingency planning and development ability - Human Resources development capacity.