POSITION: SHIP SURVEYOR (DECK) PERMANENT
OFFICE: PORT OF NGQURA OFFICE
The above position will report to Principal Officer
To carry out surveys and inspections of vessels; to audit training facilities and service stations, to approve safety equipment, to examine seafarers for appropriate qualifications, to provide other services to further the objectives of SAMSA and to ensure compliance with the requirements of applicable maritime legislation.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Ship Surveys and Inspections: Conduct and report on various types of surveys
- Engineering/Deck Examinations and Accreditations: Set and moderate exam papers; conduct level 3 assessments; accredit medical practitioners, training courses and training institutions
- Legislation/Regulations: Initiate and participate in the drafting of new legislation and amendments to existing legislation, draft Marine Notices and Marine Circulars.
- Casualty/Incident Investigations: Undertake and report on casualty/ incident investigations as well as make recommendations based on the outcome of the investigation
- Technical Consultancy: Assist with the interpretation of legislation and provide professional advice to industry as and when required
- Chief Officer CoC with no Limitations
- CoC Endorsed – Advance training for oil tankers and/ or gas carriers
- STCW ancillary courses and any other equivalent training valid.
- Applicants holding a Chief Officer CoC must have the required academics and sea time for their Masters CoC
- Drivers licence and own transport
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Sailed in rank of Chief Mate for a minimum for 12 months (Seagoing experience)
- Dangerous Goods Stowage
- Experience with oil tankers
- Equivalent Marine Engineering Degree
- STCW ancillary courses
Should you meet the requirements set out above, please e-mail your CV to Babalwa Venge Recruitment@samsa.org.za
Closing date: 22 November 2019
As we are committed to Employment Equity in our employment practices, it is our intention to appoint individuals with the aim of meeting our Equity objectives. Preference will be given to members of the designated groups to achieve the objectives of Employment Equity. Preference will be given to African Female/Male
Please note: SAMSA reserves the right not to make an appointment to any advertised position. No late applications will be considered. Psychometric and other assessments may be used as part of the selection process and all shortlisted candidates will be required to be available for the tests. If you have not been contacted within 1 month of the closing date as mentioned above, kindly deem your application unsuccessful.