To ensure that the South African Maritime Safety Authority carries out the delegated mandate in as far as it applies to the Small Vessels and inland waters and more specifically the implementation of the Merchant Shipping (National Small Vessel Safety) Regulations of 2007.
Key performance areas include:
1. Business Processes
- Familiar with the Annual Business Performance Plan to enable the centre to achieve its objectives
- Quarterly briefings and feedback to the Boating Manager. Quarterly reports to be submitted within deadlines
- Assist the Boating Manager to review the Small Vessels Fees Regulation and standard charging throughout the regions
- Compile budget requirements for your office and manage within budgetary constraints. Budget completed as per deadlines.
- Assist the centre with the development of policies and procedures and updating of SAMSA small vessel policy; updating surveyor checklists etc.
- To improve the quality of SAMSA services and products to our stakeholders. Attend to registered complaints and queries received from the SAMSA website
2. Ensure safety of boating in SA waters
- Audit of authorized agency safety officers and examiners in your region
- Assist the PO with audits of Skipper Training Schools in your region
- Arrange formal meeting between external surveyors, safety officers and examiners as directed by the PO
- Input with regards to policy for audits of Agencies and Safety Officers
- Where applicable deliver on required contribution to the DOT: Small Vessel Advisory Committee
- Where applicable deliver on required contribution to the subcommittee for Co-operative Inland Waters Safety Program
- Support with Training of Enforcement Officers, have regular engagement with all Enforcement Officers
- Help with the Surveyor/Safety officer and examiner annual training programme in your region
- Actively involved with Safety awareness campaigns
- Responsible for the planning and logistics of the annual boat show within your region
- Maintain contact with the SAMSA appointed external surveyors resident in the region and assist the PO with the audits of these appointed external surveyors
Contribution towards the production of new safety pamphlets and update of existing pamphlets.
- Provide effective boating administration
- Update the contact list of appointees in your region to facilitate communication and inclusion of this information in a Marine Notice on the SAMSA website. Support the boating manager to maintain accurate records of all:
- Authorised Agencies;
- Accredited Schools;
- Enforcement Officer Programs;
- Appointed external Surveyors;
- Appointed Examiners, both internal and external;
- Appointed Enforcement Officers.
- Ensure small vessels casualties within your region are reported to PO. List of casualties to be submitted to Boating Manager every quarter
- Assist the Boating Manager and the ICT dept. with the implementation of a small vessel database. All CoF and LGSC vessels in SA, under SAMSA or Authorised Agency survey.
- Support with the auditing of the Certification Unit
- Compile customer satisfaction surveys within your region
- Answer all queries which come from the SAMSA website pertaining to your region
- Assure that SAMSA and its mission, programs and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders
- Ensure the correct Supply Chain Management processes are followed when purchasing goods or services
- Contribute to the maintenance of the internal Small Vessel folder
- Auditing of external surveyor returns
- Contribute towards good stakeholder relationships and interaction with
- local authorities
- enforcement agencies
- Other competent authorities (standards, security, water use and quality, etc.)
- Industry Development Institutions (DTI, Provincial Economic Development Departments, Municipal Local Economic Development and other Developmental Agencies)
The successful candidate will meet the following minimum criteria:
- Grade 12
- NQF Level 6: Diploma (Previously National Diploma; 240 and 360 credits)
- Advanced certificate.
- 5 -7 Years work related experience
- 2 of which should be at Supervisory/Specialist level.
- SAMSA Small vessel surveyor course
- Auditing skills for audits of authorized agencies, skipper training schools and external appointed surveyors
- SCM procedures
- Enforcement officer programme
- National Small Vessel Regulations - Marine Notice 13 of 2011
- National Small Vessel Examination Regime
- Knowledge of the boating industry, training and examination regime and legislation relative to small vessels.
- Current Recreational Boater
- Boating Inspection/ Survey Experience
Should you meet the requirements set out above, please e-mail your CV to Masiye Pilusa firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 27 September 2019
As we are committed to Employment Equity in our employment practices, it is our intention to appoint individuals with the aim of meeting our Equity objectives. Preference will be given to members of the designated groups (Coloured Male & Female) to achieve the objectives of Employment Equity.
Please note: SAMSA reserves the right not to make an appointment to any advertised position. No late applications will be considered. Psychometric and other assessments may be used as part of the selection process and all short – listed candidates will be required to be available for the tests. If you have not been contacted within 1 month of the closing date as mentioned above, kindly deem your application unsuccessful.