SAMSA’s Maritime Occupational Health and Safety Unit aims to improve health and safety standards and awareness in the stevedore and ship repair industries through:
1. Vessel inspections to ensure that the workplace, equipment and worker behavior is healthy and safe
2. Legal compliance audits against the Maritime Occupational Safety Regulations, 1994 and other applicable legislation and codes.
3. Stakeholder engagement through the various stevedore and ship repair safety committees that have been established as a platform for stakeholders in both industries to raise issues with respect to health and safety.
A. Stevedore safety committees have been established in the following ports:
- Richards Bay
- Ngqura and Port Elizabeth
- Cape Town
B. Ship Repair safety committees have been established in the ports of Durban and Cape Town
4. Publishing the annual Maritime Occupational Health & Safety Newsletter which:
A. Recaps the previous year’s accident statistics and trends
B. Communicates the findings from inspections and audits
C. Updates industry on the Units activities / projects
5. Drafting Marine Notices to bring the following to the attention of industry:
A. High risk activities or activities that have resulted in the injury to workers
B. Interpretation of legislation
6. Conducting roadshows on a regular basis to:
A. Introduce the South African Maritime Safety Authority and its mandate
B. Inform industry of legislative requirements e.g. accident / casualty reporting
C. Communicate the findings of research projects undertaken by the Authority e.g.
- University of KwaZulu Natal: The Health of Stevedore Ship Repairmen
- Life Occupational Health: Health Risk Assessment to determine the medical assessment criteria Occupational Health Practitioners should use to certify workers fit for duty
D. Arranging experts to present on high risk activities such Noise Induced Hearing Loss, Working at Heights, PPE Requirements, Medical Surveillance Findings.
7. Establishment of projects to create safety awareness:
A. Stevedore and Ship Repair Safety Films which are translated into English, Zulu, Afrikaans and Xhosa.
B. Stevedore and Ship Repair Safety Posters
8. For guidance on Maritime Occupational Health and Safety, please see related information links or contact Mr. Sibusiso Rantsoabe on 031 307 3006.